Sunday, January 5, 2014

9 Reasons I'll Follow You on Twitter



I go through spurts where I spent a lot of energy on Twitter, but I'll go through long stretches where I don't even log into it to check anything--for MONTHS.

Whether this is right or wrong depends upon whether the decision is born from an intentional, well-thought through strategy...or just plain laziness.  In my case, both have played a major role.

The last couple of days, I've been slowly using Twitter, again.  I'm preparing to do another experiment on Twitter.

Similar: Beginning my (first) experiment with Hootsuite

For now, part of my preparation has been to sift through my "Followers," and I realized that I was following a lot more people than I really could explain "why" to myself.  So I started pruning the people I was Following on Twitter, and the longer I was doing it, the more I was asking myself, "What makes me 'want' to follow someone on Twitter...what makes me NOT want to Follow them?"

I figured there is a good lesson in my self-realization.  So here is what I figured...

9 Reasons I Will Follow You on Twitter...
1. You CREATE material worth sharing with MY targeted followers.
2. You FIND AND SHARE material worth sharing with my targeted followers.
3. You represent a business or social interest I hold.
4. Many of MY targeted followers are following you.
5. You seem to network enthusiastically AND with a purpose.
6. You are someone who SHARES some of MY Tweets.
7. You represent a publishing or news outlet.
8. I see something in you I REALLY want to promote.
9. You represent a group that hosts a lot of local events of interest to my followers.

Let's take a closer look at each of these (if you want).

1. You CREATE material worth sharing with MY targeted followers.

I love finding great things to share.

I really do not enjoy reading, but I love learning.  If you write in a way that's easy for this non-reader to absorb, I will probably (a) Follow you and (b) Promote you through ReTweeting you, at the least.

If you create good quality content that will interest MY Followers on Twitter, then you're helping ME look more like an expert.

Why wouldn't I want to follow you?

2. You FIND AND SHARE material worth sharing with my targeted followers.

Okay, so maybe YOU don't create any material.  However, you're really good at finding--and sharing--material online that MY Followers will appreciate.

I can research pretty well, but I can't research as well as many other people combined.  You're making my life easier, and you're making me more efficient.

I'd be a FOOL not to Follow YOU on Twitter.

3. You represent a business or social interest I hold.

If you're in my industry and seem to try making positive contributions, you probably have many Followers who fit my targeted market.

I want to follow you to share our markets together.

This is really important to me with social interest groups.  Right now, besides business and marketing groups, I'm really interested in finding ways to improve Detroit.  I also like to promote local business, marketing, and certain non-profit events.

I'd be smart to follow you on Twitter.

4. Many of MY targeted followers are following you.

This is similar to #3, but you do not have to represent a group in this case.  You just have to have "ears" that listen to you that I also want to hear me and people I'm promoting.

It makes sense for me to follow you on Twitter.

5. You seem to network enthusiastically AND with a purpose.

I really like meeting up and exchanging ideas with ambitious, kind people.  People who are trying to make things better for themselves or others intrigue me.  However, notice the "AND" in here.

It's easy to find people who will network on Twitter.  After all, Twitter IS a communication channel.  However, some people network for the sole purpose of talking and passing time in the name of "getting things done."

I will follow you if you seem like you're networking aggressively with a purpose that aligns with mine.

I WANT to follow you on Twitter.

6. You are someone who SHARES some of MY Tweets.

As a marketer, this is REALLY important to me.

Even if you and I don't really have anything else in common, I'd be FOOLISH not to help promote someone...who is trying to promote me (or other people I know).

I'm trying to FIND you so that I can follow you on Twitter.

7. You represent a publishing or news outlet.

Similar to #6, I am a marketer.  So I DEFINITELY want to connect with people who might share my stuff with other people, some of whom are part of MY TARGETED market.

The best chances of survival online is to help as many people promote you (and your peeps) as possible.

That is what publishing and news outlets do!  Make it easy for them to do that for you.  (At least, that's what I think!)

I want to follow some of you on Twitter more than some of you others.

8. I see something in you I REALLY want to promote.

You might be an aspiring entrepreneur.

You might be a recent grad trying to figure out things.

You might be in career transition and taking the right steps to learn the new ways.

You might be someone who inspires everyone in your path.

You might be one of the best teachers of the material you know.

You might have already "made it."

The way I feel, I cannot know enough exceptional people.  If you seem to be doing--or trying to do--something exceptional, I would like to witness it, if not also be a part of it.

You may be afraid of failing, but you're even more afraid of missing a possible chance for success.

I want to do what I can to help you succeed and help more people get to know you.  I'll follow you on Twitter for THAT reason alone!

You're the reason I'm excited to use Twitter, and I want to follow you most of all.

9. You represent a group that hosts a lot of local events of interest to my followers.

I like learning about events, but I also want to be a resource.

If you represent a local group that holds events for...
(a) business/marketing education & idea exchange, or
(b) a non-profit/community event to help make Southeast Michigan better

I want to PROMOTE YOUR EVENT.

My local followers will enjoy getting updates, and it also helps me pay better attention to possible events to attend (plus people and groups to get to know).

Yes, I want to use Twitter as a sort of classified ad posting for you.

Similar: 4 Ways Twitter is Like Craigslist

It makes sense for me to follow you on Twitter (and other places, too since you host events).

Bonus #10: I know you personally on some level.
This is sort of self-explanatory, but of course, I like to promote the people I know (especially the ones I like).

Twitter is for communication, and I use it to meet people I have NOT met, yet.  Why wouldn't I also use it to communicate with people I HAVE met?  (I don't have an answer, either.)

I'd probably have fun following you on Twitter; communicating with you on here is just a BONUS!

Do these reasons make sense to you?  How do YOU decide which people YOU will follow?

Like this post?  Other recent posts are
To visit The Ultimate Analyst company website click HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thank you for taking time to read my post and share your thoughts with me and my other readers. I'm always tickled when I get a non-SPAM comment. Honestly, sometimes I'm even okay with some borderline SPAM.

Let me know if you would like for me to address a topic by sending me an email at Chris@TheUltimateAnalyst.com.

Thanks, again. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Chris