Friday, February 8, 2013

6 Ways to Make Writing Interesting



Going through Twitter and LinkedIn, I see a lot of different posts by many different people.

There are some really good posts out there, but there are a whole lot of mediocre (if not worse) blog posts.

What makes the difference?

Here are five (5) different things I try to do to make my writing interesting:
  1. Be Enthusiastic
  2. Share Experiences
  3. Share Observations
  4. Don't Always Agree with Status Quo
  5. Make a Not-so-obvious Connection
  6. Visualize the Person You Expect to Read Your Post
What do I mean?


1. Be Enthusiastic

I do not like when people are "fake."

Even so, on more than one occasion, I've told people that I would MUCH rather see someone FAKE being enthusiastic than REALLY be unenthusiastic.

It helps if you are enthusiastic about your writing topic.  If you're not, try to find a reason (if not several reasons) to become enthusiastic...at least while you are writing.


2. Share Experiences

Most people do not do anything.  They theorize or conceptualize.  I can be guilty of this as much as anyone else.

One of the coolest ways to bring intrigue is to report about things you are actually doing.

Often, I describe myself as the little kid who is doing something for the first time.  So I'm excited.  (See #1: Be Enthusiastic)  That translates into my writing, and my experience might be less than many other people.  However, at that point, I will have more experience (with the specific topic) than someone who has NOT done this, yet.


3. Share Observations

One of the biggest crimes people can make as a writer is to simply repeat what other people say.  Sure, that writer might use his or her own words, but the message is a carbon copy of what you read or hear in many other places.

See things for yourself.  When you do this, you've made your own observation, and you offer something unique for your reader.  That is when you are interesting--not when you are telling them something they could read in a million other places.


4. Don't Always Agree with Status Quo

Sometimes, the masses have it right, but don't assume it.  Many times, they think they are being led to the promised land, but it's nothing but a mirage.  Their pied piper is leading them to a cliff...intentionally or otherwise.  They're still misguided.

So don't assume that quantity of support equals accurate support.

If you are doing the same thing everyone else is, what is the difference between you and the average?

Don't be afraid to be wrong.  People love to read something that flies in the face of convention, even if they don't agree with you.

You'll be surprised how often you'll find support.  You just were the first one to "admit it."


5. Make a Not-so-obvious Connection

This is sort of like #4: Don't Always Agree with Status Quo, but the final result is different.

Find two things that seem to have NOTHING in common, but you find how they're related.

Example: 3 Things Cats and Computers Have in Common

This will require some unconventional thinking, but it will also make your writing more interesting.

Compare this with something like, "3 Things Computers and Calculators Have in Common."  How interesting  would THAT be?  Exactly!  Not very interesting at all.  Relate things that really aren't related...until you show them how they are.


6. Visualize the Person You Expect to Read Your Post

This is the key for me.  Have an idea who will be reading whatever you're writing.

For instance, if I am writing for a beginner, I will explain terms.  I might walk through the "How To" steps.

If I am writing for someone who is looking for entertainment, I might use a more flippant tone.  I might make some crazy statements...just to get a response.

In each case, I visualize who I expect to read what I write, and I try to write through the reading mind of that person.  It does not always work, I'm sure, but I'm always trying to reach the reader.  That's a whole lot easier if I can envision what that reader really is.


Obviously, you are the judge.  If you've gotten this far, you have a little bit of evidence of whether my writing holds any interest for the reader.

I'm sure that these are good places to start if you want to limit your reader's snoring.


2 comments:

  1. Chris, thanks for the great tips!
    I try to follow them all, but I'm sure I slip up from time to time.
    Tracy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tracy. Hey, I slip up from time to time...We can never do "everything." We just need to make sure that we're doing "something," most of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thank you for taking time to read my post and share your thoughts with me and my other readers. I'm always tickled when I get a non-SPAM comment. Honestly, sometimes I'm even okay with some borderline SPAM.

Let me know if you would like for me to address a topic by sending me an email at Chris@TheUltimateAnalyst.com.

Thanks, again. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Chris