Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Sneaky Internet Marketing Idea I've Never Tried



I can't believe that I've never thought of doing this.  (I don't know that I have the guts to do it, but...)

It's sneaky, but I can see where this is effective.

Can't believe it took me that long to figure out this one!

Have you ever wondered about that strange website that people clicked to find you?

If you ever check your website visitor analytics, you might notice some websites that you've never heard--before seeing them on your analytics report.

What do I do when I see this?

When I see these, I do two (2) things...like clockwork.

1. I check to see WHERE a link to my page is located.

(a) I will check for my full length domain URL, i.e. http://www.TheUltimateAnalyst.com  (Actually, I usually only search "TheUltimateAnalyst.com" in case that website only contains part of my domain without the "http://" or the "www." portion.

(b) I will check to see whether there is any anchor text.  I will do this by going into that website's source code (read only) and do a search for my website URL.

OFTEN THIS LEADS TO NOTHING!

2. I wonder how they found me...UNTIL NOW!!!

I will sit and wonder how anyone found me through their website since I can't find a link to it.

I'm pretty sure I know how they do it!

Recipe for What They Do
1. They put a link to your website on THEIR website.
2. They click on that link to your website.
3. Your website analytics will show their website as a source of traffic.
4. They remove your link from their website.
5. You see their link.
6. You check out their website.

Honestly, there have been times where I checked out that person's website if they looked like they might offer something that I need or want.

It's sneaky and probably in poor taste, but it is a very smart approach.

Do you have any other ideas?  Am I the only one who ever had this question?

Like this post?  Other recent posts are


To visit The Ultimate Analyst company website click HERE.



1 comment:

  1. On the internet marketing mainly contains the innovative and specialized factors of internet that contains design, development, online sales, marketing as well.

    People Search

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thank you for taking time to read my post and share your thoughts with me and my other readers. I'm always tickled when I get a non-SPAM comment. Honestly, sometimes I'm even okay with some borderline SPAM.

Let me know if you would like for me to address a topic by sending me an email at Chris@TheUltimateAnalyst.com.

Thanks, again. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Chris